Bus Licensing (Driver Authority)
Having a bus licence is a great way to increase your earning and employment potential. In New South Wales, legislation requires you to have a NSW “Driver Authority for drivers of public passenger vehicles”.
The NSW Driver Authority also covers those drivers with a car licence only who operate mini-buses to transport passengers. A Driver Authority is valid for a period of three years.
Please note that by completing the Bus Authority Course does not guarantee license will be issued, it is subject to be approved by Ministry of Transport.
This is an open-book theory test only. There is no practical driving test involved.
Steps to Obtain a Driver Authority Bus licence
To obtain your Driver Authority bus licence, you must first establish that you meet the requirements as set out in the revised Passenger Transport Regulation 2007.
- Be at least twenty (20) years of age
- Hold an unrestricted/unconditional driver licence issued in NSW
- Have held an unrestricted Australian driver licence for a total of at least twelve (12) months in the two (2) years immediately preceding the date of the application
- Be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or hold a visa allowing the person to work in Australia
- Have passed an examination or assessment, at a level determined by the Director-General, in medical fitness
- Be able to lawfully work in Australia
- Have knowledge of the Act and Regulations relating to the operation of a bus
- Be of good repute and in all other respects a fit and proper person to be the driver of the vehicle concerned
- Have sufficient responsibility to drive the vehicle concerned in accordance with law and custom.
Purchase the starter pack , which contains all the necessary forms. Please note that the pack is non-refundable because each one has its unique serial number assigned to a specific applicant. The pack contains the following (which must be completed in full)
- Driver authority application form
- Health assessment form. This will involve a medical examination from your GP
- NSW Bus Driver Authority Manual (learner resource)
- NSW Bus Driving Authority Student Course information
- NSW Bus Driver Authority Assessment tool
- Proficiency Certificate
Beyond Driving Institution will then liaise with you and undertake open book face to face assessments. If successful, a “proficiency Certificate” will be issued. Normally it is a half-day.
From here you will gather all the above documents to send back to the Ministry of Transport
If you having trouble to find a JP, a list of JP by suburb is available here
Ministry of Transport processes the application and either:
- Forwards the appropriate Driver Authority to you; or
- Advises that your application was unsuccessful.
If you have any questions at all about this course, please use the contact form on this page or call us on 0420 279 483